Lamina cribrosa sculpture

I finished the lamina cribrosa sculpture ages ago, but didn't post about it until now because I wasn't sure if I liked it, or if I wanted to change the colours completely.  So I left it alone for ages, and now that I come back to it I think it's probably okay as it is.


The more I look at it, the more I see the eye of Sauron.  I'm okay with that, though.


I did want to do some interesting things with colours on this sculpture, because that's half the fun of sculpting something as seen through an electron microscope.  The microscope itself doesn't produce a coloured image, but it's common practice to add colours in post-production.  Strong colour contrasts (such as blue/orange, red/green, yellow/purple) are a popular choice, partly because they look cool and partly because they help viewers identify different parts of the image.

I've stuck to that convention and used magenta and chrome yellow on the lamina cribrosa, with Payne's grey on the surrounding membrane.  Here it is in close up:




Comments