A bit of progress and some bonus ranting

This week has been a slow week on the sculptural front because I've had to make a pair of work trousers.  Making work trousers is not my favourite activity, but I absolutely hate shopping for them.  I hate work trouser shopping more than almost anything else in the world.  Casual trousers are fine, but cargo pants are not my office's preferred corporate image and off-the-rack work trousers never fit properly because they are always cut wrong.  It's not actually too hard to cut trousers that fit, but manufacturers stubbornly insist on cutting the seat curve wrong and doing bizarre things to the shape of the outer leg seam.  As the saying goes, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

So anyways, here is what the skin on the trophy head looks like now.




I rather like the way the knobbly skin contrasts with the smooth, bony armour plates that cover the gills and the top of the head.  These were very loosely based on the armour of placoderms, early fish that lived in the Silurian and Devonian seas.  Their forequarters were covered in bone plates to protect them from predators.  In the case of Dunkleosteus the bone plates were also used as teeth, and I had Dunkleosteus in mind when I made the jaw on this thing.

Comments