Ten years of not being an artist

This morning, I got to thinking about how life has turned out for me over the past ten years*.  Ten years ago, I was contemplating having a career in the arts - actually doing art as a job rather than for recreation.  My dream job was to work for Weta Workshop.  I was pretty serious about it, but was put off by the fact that there isn't much money in the arts and there's a lot of competition for jobs.  I figured the sensible thing was to get a degree in another field on the basis that you don't need an arts degree to be an artist, but you do need a degree for pretty much everything else these days.  And thus I started down the inevitable path of becoming a data analyst.

All things considered, I'm pleased I went with data analysis since it involves fewer hours and better pay.  The art is just for fun, and that's fine by me because anything you do for a job is, well, a job.  You have to do it every day even when your mojo's on holiday and you'd rather do literally anything else.  And that leaches some of the fun out of it, even if it's something you love.

I had a look around to see if I could dig up something I made ten years ago so you could all have a good laugh.  This is all I could find.



As you can see, my fixation with metallic paint goes back a long way.



*The reason for this sudden and uncharacteristic attack of introspection is that today is my birthday, and that means it is now ten years since I have been legally classified as an adult, i.e. old enough to vote.

Comments