And now for something completely different

Well, not completely different, but different to the kind of thing I normally post about on this blog.  A friend of mine has a daughter with a birthday coming up, and she wants a wolf sculpture.  This time, instead of plumbing the unwholesome depths of my imagination, I will be celebrating the beauty of nature.

We live in an age where high quality, realistic fake fur is readily available, but I haven't really worked with it before.  The more I think about that, the more I realise what a lamentable oversight it is on my part.  I've got some very nice grey/black fake fur for this project, and I'll be using it to make a nice soft wolf - a bit like taxidermy in miniature.  Therefore, step one involves wrapping cotton wool around a wire frame to make the basic shape.

I honestly don't have anything much to show at this point, so let's take a look at something else which is interesting and wolf-related:




This is Head On, by Cai Guo-Qiang.  It's a really stunning piece, not least because all 99 wolves are life sized.  But they aren't wolves at all.  They are made out of sheepskin, with the wool dyed to look like wolves' fur.

Comments